Patient Rights and Responsibilities
Creating a positive patient experience is something we take seriously. You have rights and a role regarding your treatment and care. We will respect your rights and aim to help you understand your role as a partner in your care. Knowing your rights and responsibilities can help you make better decisions about your care.
What are your rights as a patient?
You have the right to:
- Be informed about the care you will receive.
- Get information about your care in your language.
- Make decisions about your care, including refusing care.
- Know the names of the caregivers who treat you.
- Safe care.
- Have your pain treated.
- Know when something goes wrong with your care.
- Get an up-to-date list of all of your current medicines.
- Be listened to.
- Be treated with dignity, courtesy and respect.
- Privacy and confidentiality regarding your medical records. No information will be released without your written consent.
- Information concerning fees for services we provide.
- Review and receive an explanation of your billing statement.
- Express concerns through our patient complaint program.
- Include advance directives in your medical record.
- Have your guardian, next of kin, or legal designee exercise these rights if you are unable to.
What is your role in your health care?
- You should be active in your health care.
- Let us know if you do not understand, or cannot follow your health care instructions.
- You should ask questions. Be prepared with questions at the time of your visit.
- You should pay attention to the instructions given to you by your caregivers. Follow the instructions.
- You should share as much information as possible about your health with your caregivers. For example, give us an up-to-date list of your medicines, and remind us about your allergies.
- Notify us of any changes including name, address, phone number, employment, insurance, births, deaths or divorce.
- Call us as far in advance as possible to schedule an appointment.
- Give us 24-hour notice when you must cancel an appointment.
- Treat clinic physicians, staff and other patients with dignity, respect and courtesy.
- Know your health plan benefits.
- Pay your bill.
- Let us know how we are doing.